Monday, October 15, 2012

Double Double Toil and Trouble!



Dearest Reader
This week Brad and I have been quite busy!
Mom, Dad and Brent came down to Utah on Thursday and Mom took Brad and I out grocery shopping. I can’t tell you what a blessing it is to have Mom caring for us!!!  We have a cupboards, fridge and freezer stocked and ready to be attacked by Brad and I :D
On Friday we enjoyed a ‘Meme’ dinner with Meme’s traditional American chop suey and Salad. We had Noni, Dad, Mom, Brent then Brad and I. Mom and I made pumpkin cake for the first time and Mom laughed while I “estimated” measurements. We do that differently.
On Saturday we had the ‘black-out’ football game for BYU. It was called ‘black-out’ because Nike had made BYU black football outfits and gave it to them. So all the crowd was dressed in black. It is always a fun atmosphere, but it would be even ‘funner’ if someone would bring back the biff, or BYU could manage some really cool manoeuvres. We left half time and as it turns out, we lost by like 20 something points! BOOO!!!
(Just so you know… The whole way through I’m Booing, or Hooraying and then asking “What happened?”  and my confession is this, the marching band and fireworks are my favourite! I really would be content leaving after that. There, now you know.)
On Saturday night Brad and I made Butter Beer!!! Some of you may have heard of this from Harry Potter. We thought it would be appropriate for our Halloween social we’re hosting for the top floor of our apartment complex. (We would have the whole apartment complex, but our apartment can’t host that many people currently. One day perhaps.)
Ok, Butter Beer… If you would like to try it here is what Brad and I put together:

Froth:
Wisk one cup of cream with three tablespoons of sugar.
When it starts to make peaks put in one teaspoon of vanilla essence and one teaspoon of butter essence.
Butter Beer:
Get out a pan and melt 1/2 cup of butter.
Now add five cans of cream soda to one can of root beer. (originally it asked for imitation butter essence and only cream soda, but it doesn’t have enough depth of flavour. So we added these and it tastes much better)
Bring it to a warm drinking temperature. Not too warm.
In a cup put 1 and ½ tablespoon of froth and pour in the butter beer. Mix the froth and butter beer and drink to your heart’s content.


Our frothed up like this because we made them cold originally. The froth is cool, but it doesn't taste nearly as good.


We also made cupcakes as part of our invitation to our neighbours.
Actually, Brad made the cupcakes, I just helped decorate them and ate the icing!


Aren't they Wonderful!!!!


On Sunday we had a really great sacrament service, the subject was bearing one anothers burdens. Brad and I have been taking family history for Sunday School! Brad is excellent at it, I’m still learning. But we are really enjoying it. In relief society we learnt about the importance of not judging others. I really like this subject, it's just so important.
After church on Sunday we enjoy having friends over for an afternoon snack, we all pitched in this Sunday which was loads of fun.
We also got to go to the Andersons home for Dinner. We really enjoy any opportunity to see this wonderful family!!!!
We had pumpkin soup and Mexican lasagne. Brad and I brought our sourdough Boudines  bread which was in the shape of a turtle. The children liked that, Beth-Ann ate the head, Elijah a leg, Jeshua a leg, Joseph the tail, and me another leg (not sure who got the other one) But when Brad picked up the turtle it looked a sad sight. But most delicious with soup!
We are always guaranteed a lot of laughter and happy company whenever with the Andersons. Joseph has an Iguana as many may know, last time Brad and I were there Dune (the Iguana) had taken off to some tree. He had returned home after we left a day or so later, and so as we were preparing to come this week we said “Make sure Dune stays around” and sure enough, Dune nicked off again!! Clearly he doesn’t enjoy visitors. But Brad is yet to see the Iguana! We’ll have to go again soon.
Eliana was attached to three people on our visit, Mum, Dad or Mary! She would not stay with us very long at all, not even food would induce her. Though we did get lots of smiles from the laps of the above three. She has four little teeth which makes for a very cute smile.
All of the children are happy and the parents are the same.
As we left Elijah, Jeshua, and Beth-Ann sang to us!! First they sang “Red Back on the Toilet seat” then “I Love Chinese”!!! As you can imagine we laughed the whole way through!



Today we have had lots of school and went on a picnic for Family Home Evening and Dinner. While in Salt Lake I was able to pick up a Christmas tree for $50. KSL is so great!!! It is 7.5’ and has all it’s bits and parts!! It was fun to bring it home and set it up with Brad, but of course we brought it back down again… soon enough we will be putting it up with all the bows and balls.

We didn't fluff it up, so it looks like it's been a battered pine in the mountains. But we will make it sufficiently fluffed.


I have to tell you this because it just meant so much to me, even though it is quite close to my heart.
Last night I asked Brad what was it that made him fall in love with me? he said among other things "It was lots of little bits that made me fall in love with you. I think it was  the way you handle things, and the way I would be so practical, but then you'd have an idea that was really impractical but we still would do it."
Isn't that great!!! I wish I could remember everything he says, so quotable!
I'm like, REALLY? But honestly folks, he thinks I'm wonderful! And of course because he thinks I'm wonderful I find myself not caring what anyone else thinks. I guess now there are only two opinions that really matter, and both of these men are so kind and loving!
 What a relief!

I wrote a poem this week, so I will finish with this and hope for you all to have a fantastic week.

The Problem with Eagles
                If I told you that once there lived many eagles, and the nature of a bird is to fly. You would believe me for surely you have seen what I have seen flying way up in the sky.
                But of these eagles you wouldn’t guess it, so few knew to flew! So many times they missed it. 
               Their problem was this, as it is for many today, that they thought they were still hatchlings, and the leader eagle blocked their way.
                I have wondered much at the folly of things, how when in an eggshell you can’t see a thing. Yet the sound of the whisperings that tell you to stay, seem to reverberate through your brain.
                But the shell has such nice things in it too, like food and tv and even a pool. Yet only if you get out of the membrainy thing, can you see that the world is coming on spring!
                Long has the pages of history shown, pioneers and the strength of men and women to be told. No one will know of the nothing to be had, by a pecking parent eagle and their obliging nagged.
                Did you hear of Alexander The Great manipulated by this
“But honey you can’t hardly, it’s just wrong, YOU’RE TOO BIG!”
               Or perhaps Joan of Arc may have even believed
“My dear your delusional, and even God agrees.”

This is the problem with eagles at the very first
that they think they are hatchlings, and hardly even birds.

- Joanna Joy Collett















1 comment:

  1. I just love your posts! We are so happy to have a daughter as wonderful as you in the family!!!! We just love coming down to see you both! I LOVE the tree and I know you both can't wait to put it up!!!! Love MOM:)

    ReplyDelete