Thursday, September 20, 2012

The cool autumn is on the way

            This past week has treated Brad and I very well. It is getting a lot colder here in provo and the trees on the mountain are turning yellows and red. We are enjoying the cooler weather and beautiful colours.

The pace for our studies continues to increase but we find little pieces of time to be together.
            Friday night we started the weekend off in style! We went to the movies and watched Bourne Legacy. WOW! Talk about action!!! Brad and I really enjoy the Bourne movies, even though we’re on the edges of our seats. We watched all three of them in three week period, I had seen them but Brad had not. The whole way through Brad was asking “What’s going to happen?” and I was like “I completely forget.” So, it seems It doesn’t matter how many times I see some movies, I’ll just forget them anyways. This is an excellent way to save money J just forget the movie and watch it again. We have been trying to save money, so we didn’t get popcorn or a drink this time. Turns out, you don’t need it!
            On Saturday Brad and I were up and out to the farmers markets for fresh produce. We have decided we like this better than the Co-op as we get the produce we want for comparable prices. We also got a little tub of honey; Brad wants to get honey comb and experiment with its many useful properties. Such as polishing, etc. The rest of the day was spent doing homework and such. We also went for a walk, we often walk around our block or a few around dusk.
            Sunday we had stake conference. It was MASSIVE! They had to broadcast it three times through the day so everyone in the stake could see it. They treated it a lot like General Conference which we felt was not quite as warm. But we did learn! A speaker spoke about the importance of remembering, but our favourite talk was by the General Primary President. She talked about making the house like a temple by praying, reading scripture and teaching the gospel. We enjoyed this talk because we could feel the spirit and her sincerity.
            Monday I was up at 5.45 and getting ready for school. I leave for school at 7.15 so I can beat some of the traffic. Monday evening Brad and I had some friends over, Jessica and Brent. They’re in our ward and heaps of fun! We enjoyed a chicken alfredo with salad, some apple crumble with ice-cream and we played a board game. I gave the spiritual thought on Moses and how he was tempted. The I talked about how one of the early apostles used to say the following whenever he would be tempted by Satan “Shut up Devil!” and then he’d make a threat to the devil that he will do even more to further the work of God if he doesn’t stop. Funny ay! I learned that in my Pearl of Great Price class.
            Wednesday’s are my loooong days. I start school at 8.50 and finish at 7pm. Yesterday I was sooooo pooped! Plus I forgot to eat lunch. Luckily I have a friend who drives home with me on Wednesdays, but my brain was ‘done in’. As soon as I walked through the door I could smell some delicious food. Brad had dinner all prepared for us. I could have melted. We sat down and ate dinner while watching a tv show. Afterward we had about 10mins to snuggle then Brad was back to studying. I tried my hardest to stay awake till he came to bed, but I was out by 10 and he came to bed at 10.30. Exercising your mind is serious business folks!
            Today has been very productive. I woke up at 7.30 stayed in bed till 8.45 ;) when I threw on clothes and dropped Brad off to his class. I came home and sat on my chair in front of my laptop. I stayed sitting there until 1.50 when I picked Brad up from school and dropped him off at work, then I got home and sat on that chair until 4.30. I completed two assignments and I’m close on a third. Tomorrow I’ll be doing the same on this third assignment and another fourth.
            There’s one assignment I’d like to tell you about. It’s the New Testament one. I had to read at least 35 pages (though I ended up with about 6 Journals and 90 pages!!) worth of BYU or Maxwell Institute Journals or Articles. A note on these, I never really thought that a paper about the four gospels could be so sterile! Truly, they talked about time periods, possible traditions, general tone and content. Thoroughly fascinating because it is difficult to find real meaning within their pages. I think sometimes that the authors enjoy the sound of their own ‘voices’.
C.S. Lewis continues to inspire me with his clear insight and straight forward style. He reveals that the four gospels are novelty in their own right. That though they are written in their time, they reflect something that is so out of the second century era. He talks about the gentleness and depth of love that is within The Messiah, how each gospel testifies of this and the fact that ‘modern theology’ (which I might say is still modern today) are full of ‘bible historians’ who never wrote a gospel, never lived in the second century, have not been taught how to read properly and simply do not know God. For a man who was a decided atheist, he speaks more sense than most.
            I conclude now with the assurance that Brad and I are more in love today than yesterday, and more tomorrow than today. I continue with mood swings monthly, and Brad continues with kindness. We do so love you all and pray for you daily. Ever in our hearts.
May you have a lovely weekend.

Ps. Dad is here to help Brad with molecular biology. I’ve tried to help before, but I can’t even pronounce the questions!!!! It’s hard core ay. But Brad’s so dang good with it all. Amazing man!

No comments:

Post a Comment